Friday, July 27, 2012

Unscheduled Events - 1990.

Joining the the MV Doulos was the biggest milestone in my life - new environment, new people and tons of things to learn!  Leaving the port of Phuket itself was a big 'eye-opener' for me (I'll share that some other time) - such a culture shock.  The Straits of Malacca was a welcomed sight and calm seas as I stood on watch on the Bridge.  Our next stop?  The port of Penang, also known as "Pearl of the Orient."

As news of the invasion of Kuwait by oil big-league Iraq on the 2nd of August, 1990 reached our ears, well in short, it didn't matter much to me.  The war was "far away."  We soon entered port on the 3rd of August.  I never dreamt that one day I would be here again (the last time was in 1983.)  We berthed next to a British frigate as I could see the Royal Navy flag at the stern of the ship and spotting huge characters, F89


I took this picture as a RN seaman looked at me. - www.doulos1914.blogspot.com


The 'surprised' look that reflected from the british sailors were akin to saying, "Where did she come from?"  I think what they meant was, "Wow!  She's old!!"


'HMS Battleaxe'.  Photo credits to David Page - www.navyphotos.co.uk


Captain Richard Prendergast was captain of the Doulos and Chief Officer Mike O'Reilly was our First Mate together with Kim (S.Korea) and Sammy Salazar (Philippines) as our 3rd Mates.  Our captain was in the Royal Navy for 20 years so,..yes you're right - he went over to the Battleaxe not long after we docked.  Ship visits were very common among seamen as we travelled around the world, especially when it's our fellow countrymen, a 'get-together' is never far off.  I did that.

When we arrived, family members and friends of the Battleaxe crewmen were there to spend R & R with them but unfortunately (as we were told), a few days into their holiday, they were recalled and had to set course for the Gulf right away.  But not after I've had a chance to go aboard for a 'look-see' - we were only allowed on the helicopter deck.  Good enough!  After loading up with supplies the Battleaxe left port, we waved our 'goodbyes' and later it was our turn to 'sweep' the roadside stalls of Penang for food!!  "Burp!"




No comments:

Post a Comment