Wednesday, April 25, 2012

We Were There.

drydock_old photo
An 'old' look of us during drydock in Kaoshiung, Taiwan.

No, it's not the RMS Titanic!  This ship was built in 1914, 2 years after the Titanic sank, she's the MV Doulos.  What a privileged to have sailed on her for two and a half years.  A tribute to her toughness.
Built as 'The Medina' in 1914 and sold as the 'Doulos Phos' in March 2010.  She was bought by a businessman and plans are to transform her into a floating hotel and restaurant-cum-museum in Singapore.  Thank God that 'our' ship is saved.  Saved for all to enjoy walking her decks again.

caulking wooden decks
Caulking the decks - my specialty.  Drydock Hong Kong 1991

The last time I was on the Doulos was a few years back.  By then the wooden decks were long gone, replaced with steel deck plating.  I recalled my earlier days of learning to caulk the decks from one dark, tall and (this is true) strong old seaman, Gunnar Stokke - our bo'sun.  He was a fisherman in Norway before he joined the ship.  This tall and gentle 'giant' was so smooth in his speech and character that I didn't dare to offend him.  I just listened and swallowed everything he taught me.  'Hook, line and sinker!'  That's the way.

By the way, I still have the mark on my forearm from a drop of hot melted pitch!  I was caulking one day and the pitch (or bitumen as some would say), dripped out of the large 'spoon' I was holding.  It would not 'run' off but I had to wait and endure the searing pain until it was hardened enough to be pulled off - along with the skin, of course!  Ever seen the 1979 sci-fi movie 'Alien', where the creature's blood dripped onto the floor??  Yeah, like that!

More coming up!  Look out for more postings and other accounts shared about this incredible ship.  Anything to share?  Post it in the comments section.




No comments:

Post a Comment