Wednesday, October 3, 2012

"Zdravstvuyte" Vladivostok!

More than a year had past when I witnessed the lowering of flag on the East German merchant ship, and the raising of the 'united' German flag in its place, in Port Klang  Malaysia.  For it was a dimly lit October morning that our German crew mates and one former East German, Frank, went over to our neighbouring ship and celebrated with their fellow countrymen in that historical moment.  It was my fourth port of call since I joined the Doulos.  By now, the sun had climbed a little higher - revealing more of what was to come in the horizon.

Flag of Germany


January 1991, the Iron Curtain in the far east fell and began opening up to the world.  Vladivostok, the Las Vegas of the East, home of the former Soviet Naval Pacific Fleet, second after the Northern Fleet which is based in Murmansk.  An intelligence-gathering dream of top-level security breach, is now free to come and look all you can!  I'm a fan of Tom Clancy novels and it was my life's treat of entering this highly secretive port.  No spy satellite pass was needed, as all was 'laid bare' for the world to see.  Whatever you thought and have dreamt of happens right here.  Hard cash?  Yes!  Very 'accepted' indeed.  No hard feelings, this was 1992.


Doulos in Vladivostok


Magic still resides in this once proud nation.  A certain degree of respect fans out to the spirit of these people, possessing the strength of the Siberian tiger.  The sun is rising higher into the summer skies now as we edge closer to its shores.  But let us head out and begin to engage its perestroika and glasnost atmosphere of this once-small military outpost.  I am excited as I recollect and consolidate my thoughts on this port and city, so stay alert and wait for it. 

Do subscribe to my posts if you want to keep in touch with me. "Uvidimsya pozzhe!"



Russian Navy








No comments:

Post a Comment