Friday, May 18, 2012

Saving Seth Thomas - 1943

I hope you are following me in my earlier posting 'Artefact' and 'Artefact 2 - Restaurant Menus Found'.  Not only have I treasured my time being on the 'old lady', but also privileged to have known her past.  This next 'find' will definitely wind us back into time and one item that shares her resilient nature.

Doulos chart table

Chart table. - www.doulos1914/blogspot.com


I worked onboard the Doulos for two and half years, and my last year there I was a deck cadet - or apprentice officer.  Normally I'd be working out under the hot sun or in the cold, depending in which country we were in.  But sometimes I would be required on the Bridge working on charts or attending to other duties.  One day we were replacing the old stuff in the Bridge with new ones.  And one of these items was a 'Seth Thomas' ship's clock.  Since they threw it, I took it.  A simple rescue operation.

Seth Thomas clock in chart room

 See the 'clock' on the top right of the photo. - www.doulos1914/blogspot.com


Seth Thomas 1943 clock



U.S Maritime commission clock

'Seth Thomas' No.32801. - www.doulos1914/blogspot.com




Maritime Clock saved

Some numbers on the back plate. - www.doulos1914/blogspot.com



Old WW II boat clock

 Manufacturer's marking. November 1943. - www.doulos1914/blogspot.com


For years I've tried to source the meaning of these markings but unfortunately none concrete.  But recently I tried again.  This time I located a site called www.collectorsweekly.com.  The people there helped me out and verified the markings.  It was also pointed out to me that a similar clock was sold on eBay with the same arrangement of numbers - of course, with different numbering.  With the assumption and  validity of the numbers, this meant to say that this clock was used possibly on the SS Medina when she was serving in the military until she was almost scrapped, bought then renamed the Roma in 1949.


U.S Maritime Commission clock

www.doulos1914/blogspot.com


Seth Thomas clock company began producing clocks in 1813.  It went through a few change of ownership and is now owned by CST Enterprise in Rhode Island.  No manufacturing is underway at the time.  But the Seth Thomas brand now lives again, made available by another clock builder for CST Enterprise.

Please share any extra insight if you have in comments section.


2 comments:

  1. Hello, Gratulations on this fine clock. I own a similar one. Built by Seth Thomas too for the once torpedoed SS Esso Bolivar, which was scrapped in Hamburg harbour during the sixties. That is the place where I live. My bst regards to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know you have one too! What is the number on the clock face?

    ReplyDelete